Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Feeling at peace...

Well since Eliza has her own blog now I might bore some of you with news about my thoughts etc. I think I have resolved to myself that I want to be a social worker again. I also feel like that I can still be a historian by teaching a few classes here and there but mainly concentrate on being a social worker, a husband, a dad, and a volunteer at our church.

I had an impromptu meeting with some of the history faculty at Milligan and they support wholeheartedly my being included as an adjunct faculty member in the future teaching a class every so often that interests me. I feel affirmed by them with this and it is something that I think will be good for me.

The point is I don't want to move my family anywhere, no local colleges are hiring, and I think I might like to be a social worker again so I feel good about this decision. I still want to finish my dissertation, I hope my advisor understands my decision not to pursue teaching full time. So anyways I hope that my interview goes well. It would be so nice to be able to provide more substantially for my kid's future.

It other news someone turned me on to this savings program for your child's college through the Tennessee Best Program. A short synopsis is that you buy units that are invested and the idea that is that you pay for your kids' college in today's dollars. Here is the website that explains it more fully. http://www.tn.gov/treasury/best/index_1a.html

I know one friend who used it to help pay for two of his children's schooling. Even despite the stock market crash these investments gained ground. So Kristen and I have signed Eliza up for and will begin contributing into it. It also has coupons that you can give to relatives etc if they want to buy a unit for Eliza as a gift. It may sound weird but it really seems like a good investment for your child's future. Anyway, those of you with youngin's in Tennessee should look at it. It is also a tax free investment. Cheers!

1 comment:

Finleys Nana said...

I think that you are being very wise about your future... Good luck on the interview.....