Monday, July 14, 2008

the process of Dissertating..

If you have a friend working on a Ph.d. dissertation and you want to really annoy them, ask them if they are finished yet.

I am working on Chapter two of mine. In this chapter I am trying to demonstrate that Elizabeth I used classical models of rhetoric to project her own political power. Specifically she relied on models provided by Seneca and Cicero. She was unique in that most female monarchs of her time did not use rhetoric, persuasive speech, in that way. It is slow going. I have most of the research done for this chapter but arranging it always causes me headaches.

In other news, I really love my wife. Kristen is so great and I feel so bad that pregancy is such a hard thing to endure. We will both be glad when little Eliza is here to hang out with us, watch me work, and be a part of our lives. I sure love her a bunch already.

1 comment:

katy said...

That goes for Master's theses as well. I can't tell you how many times I've heard the questions "How much more do you have to write?" or "When will you be done?" ARGH! haha Good luck with your dissertation. You have a lot more work ahead of you than I did, but you're a heck of a lot smarter too. :-)