Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Uncertainty...

Tomorrow I meet with the Academic Dean at Milligan to discuss my future. I have a year to year contract as a non-tenured track Visiting Professor. So if the budget is tight which it is, if they need to cut someone they start with people like me first. I am a bit anxious about it and am trying to trust that God will take care of me no matter what but I also want to be some sort of provider for my family.

I would say there would have to be a good chance I was staying simply because I teach three sections of humanities a semester and that would displace about 64 students a semester that the other teachers would have to absorb. Plus one of the history profs is going on sabbatical next year. That would leave 5 open sections of Humanities in the Spring. So hopefully I can stay.



I so enjoy teaching at Milligan but I am making good progress on the dissertation. Once I get my Ph.D. I can look for other jobs as most schools won't hire you without it. I really feel like I do a good job at Milligan and have excellent rapport with the students, but I don't know if that will count for much. If I got a job at another school it might involve moving and Kristen has the ideal job at the VA. So I guess I could try to teach high school but would a school hire someone with a Ph.D.? I guess i should start looking. :(



If you are my friend just say a prayer for me. The family thing is working great and I am sure that somehow God will show me the way through it all. In other news here is the latest pic of my sweet daughter...

1 comment:

Debbie in Memphis said...

I love the pictures of your family and your baby. She is beautiful. And really makes me miss having babies in my house.

I'll be keeping you and your family in my prayers. God has so blessed me and my family. Looking back, I know there were times when I didn't understand why things were happening, but I can absolutely say that God has always been taking care of me and blessing me beyond my wildest dreams.