Friday, May 15, 2009

London...

Saw the new Star Trek movie over here today. It is now my official all time favorite movie. It was awesome. Then I walked around London at night tonight and saw some beautiful sights. It was a little rainy and so beautiful for some reason. I used my camera timer on these.



These are from Trafalgar Square. Since it was a bit rainy tonight, hardly anyone was out and about. It was a beautiful night in the city. This night tells me why I love London so much. I just stood and stared at some of the buildings. Especially Westminster Abbey. A huge structure built simply to glorify God.
I know there are a million arguments over spending money on church buildings. But the one thing I can say is that we don't build them like we used to. No matter how cool our church's new building is (we just got into a new sanctuary at Grace Fellowship) it does not inspire awe, devotion, wonder like the great Gothic cathedrals that reach to the sky. I walk in there and gaze up and see scenes of the life of Christ and almost shudder. When I had my students study church architecture from the Middle Ages I would always ask them what will it be like to study Church architecture in the 20/21st century? We will look at gyms. Lots of multi-purpose buildings. It may be a better way, but it does not inspire the awe. Those architects made their buildings as a very offering to God showing how great he was and how big he was. Sorry I got distracted there...
But I would rather be home with my girls.
Tomorrow I go back to the library to try to do some heavy duty writing. My advisor keeps talking about when I get my book published. I just want to get the thing finished first.

Praying a lot over here. Looking for God's will in a lot of areas of my life right now. Most of which I won't share. But most people know I am looking for a job. It is interesting that most people don't realize that God's will is not always comfortable and doesn't always make sense. I guess we forget that sometimes His will actually involves a cross (maybe not death hopefully) but at least at times self-denial. I am not always good with that. Milligan was my dream. I thought I felt called there. Called to teach. To show his love. I excelled there. Didn't matter. Now I am gone. Already replaced for the fall semester. I thought I actually might be hard to replace. nope. Before the semester was out all my sections were accounted for. How's that for thinking that they couldn't live without me?
But I will still trust God to lead me through. He has led me through worst times than this.

For those struggling with God's will here's a great thought.... If you wait for perfect conditions, you will never get anything done. God's ways are as hard to discern as the pathways of the wind, and as mysterious as a tiny baby being formed in a mother's womb. Be sure to stay busy and plant a variety of crops, for you never know which will grow - perhaps they all will. Ecclesiastes 11:4-6

In the meantime here's the joy and hope God has given me...Remember how Jesus said we must accept the kingdom of heaven like a little child...now I know why:)


2 comments:

michelle said...

Thanks for that, Teddy. I needed to read that verse. =) Hope you have a safe trip home. Miss you guys!

Tracey Smith said...

Wow - thanks dear brother. That was inspiring and very much needed. You should write that in one of your books - I think you should write devotionals. Love ya.
Tracey