Friday, June 27, 2008

dissertation blues...

Okay I have been told that apparently since I have been back from London, I have not posted enough as some of my readers have become accustomed to reading about what is going on. So here is an attempt to catch you up to speed.

I am working on the dissertation today at Milligan trying to see how Elizabeth's speeches in Parliament compared to those of her contemporaries. She usually chose a style that was either Senecan (brief to the point) or Ciceronian (complicated and adorned). I am trying to see if she tended to model herself after male contemporaries to show how she projected her power using their language. It is a bit slow going as you can imagine. What I really need to find is some contemporary speeches of Parliament. I am not sure where to look currently. I have interlibrary loaned a few books. Sadly most the books I need seem to be hard to find or out of print.

In other news, we are having a Johnson City baby shower on August 9th at 2--4p.m. at First Christian Church in Johnson City. We are excited. And we are having a Lee County shower on July 25th 5-7 p.m. I think at the Methodist Church Patton goes to (Can't remember the name).

Eliza seems to be doing well. Kristen is too. We are so excited to go from two to three. Well actually 4 to 5 (if you count the dogs and we do). In other news we are getting a home phone number as Kristen is convinced we need one with the baby. This way we should always hear the ring if we are home. Well back to work. Cheers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For Elizabeth I's Parliaments, start with the works of J.E.Neale-
Elizabeth I and her Parliaments 1559-1581; Elizabeth I and her Parliaments 1584-1601; The Elizabethan House of Commons. You should also consult T.E.Hartley, ed., Proceedings in the Parliaments of Elizabeth I, Volume I: 1558-1581, ed. T.E.Hartley (Volume 2 may have been published by now). Go to the Institute of Historical Research's website where you will find on-line copies of the Journals of the House of Lords and of the House of Commons for the late-Tudor period. If you also look at the Royal Historical Society's bibliography on the IHR website, you can search for other material relevant to your research.
Christopher Thompson