Saturday, June 7, 2008

Greenwich..

So today I woke up very bored and feeling a tad bit as if John Donne was wrong. Remember he said "No man is an island." I feel very alone over here despite the fact that the city seemed to swell today with people. I walked down to Buckingham Palace and then down to Westminster and hopped a boat ride to Greenwich. It was about an hour trip.

Greenwich is the home of time. Maybe you have heard of GMT, Greenwich Mean Time. It is the home of the Prime Meridan. That is 0 degrees longitude. Remember Longitude runs up and down North and South. Well it has to be 0 degrees somewhere and at Greenwich it divides the world into the Western and Eastern hemispheres.

So here is a shot of me standing in both hemispheres of the world at the same time.



You had to hike up this hill to the Royal Observatory to see the official line. It was quite a climb. I really liked the city less crowded than London and bit easier to move around in. Here's a pic of the Observatory.

after a few hours there I road the boat back to the tube station and then back to the hotel. I am beat. Next week I will get back into research but this weekend makes me want to go home so badly. I am not a good loner. I miss Kristen and my friends.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You do such a good job telling us about your days that your friends feel like we're exploring with you. This is an amazing opportunity and it will be over before you know it. Hang in there!