Thursday, June 12, 2008

Thursday...

I went back to Lambeth Palace today and looked at few things. I mainly looked at Elizabeth's 1569 prayer book and tried to compare it to one that was published in 1579. They were totally different which was interesting. What was more interesting to my ends is that in the 1569 prayer book which supposedly (pronounced with a hard d) was for her private devotions and composed by herself expressed a really Calvinistic and reformed view of the saving power of God's grace. THe idea that we cannot do anything good without the mystical action of God first. Most people take more of a free will approach. I think I am more in the middle.

I also saw a book from 1543. It was authored by Henry VIII and was "In Defense of the Seven Sacraments of the CHurch" written as an attack on Martin Luther which earned Henry and all the subsequent monarchs of England, the Pope's designation, Defensor Fidei (Defender of the Faith). So Here I am mostly done. Not sure what to do tomorrow. Cheers for now.

No comments: