Friday, June 13, 2008

So long for now...

Well this is my last post from the Mother Country. The Booth's did come from Yorkshire England way back in the 1600's. We were Quakers and came with William Penn. I actually was the first Booth at least of my clan to return to Yorkshire which we stopped at on our way to Edinburgh. But here are a few observations from my time as expatriot.(That's a word which just means someone living in a country other than their own--don't read anything into it)

1. I love England. I really love Scotland.
2. There are people here who really love Jesus whether it is in a Cathedral or at a Big church that meets in a Theatre. We don't have the market on loving Jesus as Americans.
3. I have grown and matured a ton as a historian. Looking at history first hand up close in person whether it be where it happened or reading about it is truly amazing and confirms to me my calling.
4. I am ready to come home.
5. I love my wife only slightly less than Jesus and miss her terribly. I will be glad to be back at home with her. I am truly a blessed man with my family (Kristen, Eliza, the dogs) and my extended family.
6. The world is interested in America but they do not live and die by us so we need to not take ourselves so seriously.
7. I think this election, sorry to bring in politics, will heal a lot of the anger that Europe has against our government.
8. And many will say what do we care what they think??? Which I believe is a lot of our problem. We have an arrogance that no matte what we are always right. Take those odds to Vegas and you will lose every time. I am rarely right in my life so how can our country always be right?

I am stopping with 8 for no real reason. I love my home and my country but I think I have realized even more how much of a world is out there that needs Jesus' love more than America's form of government. Cheers.

No comments: